TDS Telecom and Justified Anger Team Up for a Powerful Urban Impact Loaned Executive #mobilizemadison

For Immediate Release

Patrick and PastorMADISON, Wis. (February 11, 2016)Justified Anger, an African American-led, community-implemented initiative to reduce racial disparities in Dane County, is pleased to announce the addition of Patrick Yates as director of Program Growth and Community Engagement. Yates, a 23-year employee of TDS Telecom will split his time between TDS and Justified Anger.

“As part of a bold new initiative, we applaud TDS for their interest in creating solutions to reduce racial disparities in Dane County,” said Rev. Dr. Alexander Gee Jr., founder of the Justified Anger Initiative and President of Nehemiah Center for Urban Leadership Development. “Racial disparities in this city are among the worst in the nation and other local corporate executives would be wise to follow TDS’ lead. In addition to improved community-relations, reducing racial disparities will go a long way toward helping the overall economy.”

For more than two decades, Yates has managed several hundred projects across multiple states for TDS. Today, he is the Manager of Diversity and Inclusion within TDS’ Human Resources department. For the next year, he will spend 40 percent of his time in this role with TDS. The other 60 percent of Yates’ time will be loaned out to the Justified Anger initiative. In this role, Yates will be responsible for the timely implementation of strategies, aligning stakeholders, communicating progress and managing oversight of the day-to-day operations of Justified Anger.

“We are proud to be investing in this creative and revolutionary approach,” said Dave Wittwer, president and CEO at TDS. “We want to improve our efforts and we’re willing to try something new and different to get it done. I hope other business leaders will join us  to reduce racial disparity in Madison.”

Yates’ employment with Justified Anger started on February 1 and continues through February 1, 2017. At that time, Yates’ role and time commitment will be re-evaluated based on the results of the program.

For more information about the Justified Anger initiative or to find out how to get involved, visit mobilizemadison.com or call 608-257-2453.

ABOUT TDS TELECOM. TDS Telecommunications Corp. (TDS®), a wholly owned subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc., is the seventh largest local exchange telephone company in the U.S and a growing force in the cable industry. TDS provides 1.2 million connections to high-speed Internet, phone, and TV entertainment services in more than 150 rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities. For residential customers, TDS deploys 1Gig Internet access, IPTV service, cable TV options, and traditional wireline services. The company offers businesses advanced solutions, including: VoIP (managedIP Hosted voice), high-speed Internet fiber optics, data networking, and hosted-managed services.

TDS Telecommunications Corp., headquartered in Madison, Wis., operates OneNeck IT Solutions LLC, TDS Baja Broadband LLC, and BendBroadband. Combined, TDS employs more than 3,300 people. Visit tdstelecom.com or tdsbusiness.com.

ABOUT JUSTIFIED ANGER. Justified Anger is a groundbreaking initiative that seeks to coordinate community-wide efforts to narrow racial disparities in the City of Madison by identifying key priorities and strategies for empowering African Americans in Dane County and beyond. First, Justified Anger aims to foster a movement for “Our Madison” that will unite leaders in the community around a shared vision for addressing the unmet needs of Greater Madison’s African American community. Second, Justified Anger will implement a long-term strategy for improving the lives of African Americans in Madison, expanding the availability of resources, and repairing Wisconsin’s damaged image as unfriendly for people of color. Justified Anger is hosted by Nehemiah Center for Urban Leadership Development.

For more information contact Dr.Karen Reece, Director of Research and Program Evaluation, 608-257-2453 x234, kreece@nehemiah.org