Each year 500-700 people leave prison and return to Dane County. Hundreds more complete their jail sentences and return to our community. The vast majority of these people are men and of those a large percentage are African American. Involvement in the criminal justice system remains heavily stigmatized and often results in insurmountable barriers for returning citizens to obtaining gainful employment and stable housing, which often leads to recidivism and re-incarceration.
Research shows that the key to reducing recidivism and re-incarceration is in providing wrap around services that address basic needs such as housing and employment as well as providing mentoring and peer support to navigate challenges that may arise on a personal, legal, and family level.
Nehemiah Reentry Services
Nehemiah provides a wide array of culturally competent and relevant programs to meet the needs of men who are leaving jail or prison. These services increase the likelihood that our participants will transition successfully and become contributing members of our community. Our reentry staff include formerly incarcerated African American men who have effectively navigated the challenges of reentry.
Our wrap-around services include:
- Housing – We provide several safe, sober living environments throughout Madison for formerly incarcerated men
- Coaching/Mentoring – We provide coaching that addresses issues such as trauma, healthy relationships, anger management, fatherhood and leadership development
- Employment – We assist our participants with job placements in businesses throughout Dane County
- Advocacy – We advocate for ex-offenders, particularly within the court and legal system
- Case Management – We offer one on one case management for many of our participants
For more information, contact our Director of Reentry Services:
Anthony Cooper Sr. is Director of Reentry Services. Anthony brings over 10 years of job development and mentoring to this role and he uses his life experience to ensure ex-offenders successfully return to our community and re-acclimate to society.
Anthony Cooper email@example.com 608.257.2453 x244